Earlier this afternoon, the Office of Open Records hosted a webinar about the 2019 Survey of Agency Open Records Officers (AOROs).
This is the third statewide survey of AOROs, the people directly responsible for responding to Right-to-Know Law requests.
- We received 1,054 survey responses from a wide variety of agency types.
- Responses were received from agencies in all 67 of Pennsylvania’s counties.
- More than 90% of agencies reported spending less than 5 hours per week responding to RTKL requests. (That includes 61.5% of agencies which spent less than 1 hour per week.)
- The median number of requests received was 13.5; the average was 43.2.
- 509 agencies reported receiving 12 or fewer requests.
- 101 agencies reported receiving 100 or more requests.
- The majority (51.2%) of requests were “general requests.” The next largest category was commercial requests (30.2%). News media requests were just 3.8% of the total.
Here’s the PowerPoint presentation I used for this session, which includes more data from the survey and related information:
And here’s the underlying data, exported into Excel files in the three ways Survey Monkey allows (all three are ZIP files):
This is Sunshine Week 2019, and we’re hosting a series of webinars. I hope you can join us for some or all of them!